Over 600 people likely to loses jobs in France after Australia project cancellation
CANBERRA, September,20 (Asia Free Press): Australian living in France are worried to face physical attacks after recent diplomatic tension between the two countries over scrapping of submarine deal.
Currently 33 Australian are posted in France city of Cherbourg, where design work on Australia’s submarine program had begun, according to ABC News.
Following cancellation of over $90 billion submarine program with France, anger in locals is growing and Australian could face backlash from French citizens, the report warned.
Australians posted to France fear local backlash following shock $90b submarine contract cancellation
In the industrial city of Cherbourg [France], where design work on the Attack class fleet was underway, there are fears of hundreds of job losses following last week’s termination of the $90 billion deal.
“It was totally unexpected from everyone, I think,” ABC quoted the wife of one Australian defence employee currently working with France’s Naval Group company in Cherbourg, as saying.
The woman, who declined to give her name, told local media she felt great disappointment and surprise when she heard Australia had decided to switch to an alternative submarine plan.
“I feel really sad, really upset that we were setting up to be quite happy here, and now we have to go,” she said.
Another Australian, who also spoke on the condition of anonymity, said she and other families were “seriously worried about their physical safety”.
“Cherbourg is a small town, and many jobs will be lost,” the woman told the ABC.
Over 600 people who were working in the project in Cherbourg could lose their jobs after cancellation of contract.
On Monday, Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison again rejected France objection over his country move to cancelled submarine program with Paris and signed a new deal with US and UK.
“There is no more important responsibility of any prime minister or any federal government than to keep Australians safe,” Morrison told reporter at Sydney Airport before leaving for New York.
“As I embark now to go and see our friends in the United States and meet with many others, both from Europe, from the UK and the United States,” he added.
Morrison will meet President Biden and UK Premier in US to discuss the latest diplomatic tension with France.
While he will also attend the first face-to-face Quad meeting in White House along with his Indian and Japanese counterpart
Leave a Reply