SICHUAN, Sep 16, (SCMP): Three people died and 88 sustained injuries after a magnitude 6 earthquake shook Lu county in China’s south-western province of Sichuan at 4.33am on Thursday, according to the China Earthquake Networks Centre (CENC).
According to South China Morning Post (SCMP), the local authorities said more than 76,000 residents had been evacuated and more than 24,000 houses damaged.
A combined team of more than 4,000 rescuers was sent to the affected area, after Sichuan’s earthquake relief headquarters and the local authorities initiated the highest and second-highest levels of emergency response this morning.
CENC has said, the quake struck at a depth of 10km (6.2 miles), with the epicentre at 29.2 degrees north latitude and 105.34 degrees east longitude.
An alert was issued at noon warning of possible further geological activity in the earthquake zone and surrounding areas over the next 72 hours. Residents and rescue workers were reminded to take precautions.
Meanwhile, 55 fire-fighters were hosing down a potential fire risk after more than 200 tonnes of highly concentrated alcohol leaked when a storage facility for China’s most popular liquor was damaged by the earthquake.
Leave a Reply